Monday, December 8, 2014

Sacco and Vanzetti Essay

For this lesson I asked students to give reasoning for an opinion using evidence. Co-Taught History completed a trial organizer as they assumed the role of a jury member in the clemency hearing for Sacco and Vanzetti. Students gathered facts related to the case and the initial trial and logged them into a t-chart separated by facts that hurt and helped the two's clemency appeal. Once the students finished gathering the evidence, they were asked to pick two facts which they believed pointed to them being granted or denied clemency. Finally students wrote a short essay using the ClEaR format, paying special attention to how they reasoned their presented evidence in favor or against clemency. Students then were able to share their decisions with the class in discussion.

3 comments:

  1. Kids can reason? Lol:) Really, though, thanks for teaching them the importance of reasoning. A grand jury simulation sounds fun, thus inspiring students to want to produce logical arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a similar activity with my Honors kids, but I just held the "hearing" and didn't make students look at/collect all of facts (only their own for their role). They were very excited and vocal when it came to arguing their part, and they were definitely engaged in the acting, but I think something was lost in the actual knowledge part. Instead of thinking and reasoning, the activity became more theater. If I asked them today, a few weeks after the lesson, the kids would probably only remember their biased role, instead of the actual information from the case. Mark, your idea would make them have to think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of having students gather facts, but then choose only one or two of these facts that they support and "argue" for or against. We know students love to "pick a side" and argue it, why not tie it into an educational activity! :)

    ReplyDelete