Tuesday, December 9, 2014
Gallery Walk Inspiration!
Remember back when we went on that gallery walk on the very first late start day of the year? I sure do. That's because that was the day that the unthinkable happened. I was inspired. Motivated. Moved to tears. Ok, I went a little too far there. But it was the math department that inspired me so much. How can you connect math to history? You can't. But...I saw a diagram on one of their cultures of thinking examples that inspired me to think. And think I did. It pushed me to recreate my lesson for that very day, changing the entire scope of my lesson on a dime and reworking my delivery of the curriculum after so many years of doing things the same. The math assignment I'm talking about had four boxes with a question in a circle in the center of the page. Inside the four boxes were four different ways to approach the same question. I took this and altered it for my history class. I put an essential question in the center circle. The four boxes represented four different classroom conversations that we had surrounding different viewpoints of that same question. Some of the discussion in the classroom was historically based, and others were in a modern context. The results were outstanding. Students owned this information at the end of the unit. I put this question on the test as an essay question, and by and large it was the most thoroughly answered question of any essay question we've had so far. Most people actually wrote something down! Amazing stuff, right? I'm guessing that by now you really want to see this assignment, so you can be likewise motivated to change the world to be more productive thinkers and learners. Well, here you GO!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are awesome, Mike! It is really easy to stay in the rut of always doing things the same way, because it is easy and comfortable, but it's great that you were inspired, reflected and then tried something new. It's even better that it was such a success! I think that having students think about a question or a "task" from multiple perspectives, not only creates deeper understanding, but also gives students multiple options of start a task, so that they they can choose one that makes sense to them. I also think that incorporating the "modern" connection is key for history, because it makes the information relevant and, in turn, hopefully increases student engagement. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteMike, I agree with you and Kate we need to explore different ways to see how our teaching empacts the way students think. I think it's great when students see history from different viewpoints. I'm going to use your appoach in future lessons.
ReplyDeleteYou are welcome. :) We love the graphic organizers to help students understand a concept from the different representations.
ReplyDelete