Tuesday, December 2, 2014
Challenge #2
I had my students reflect on a print advertisement as part of the argumentation unit which focuses on how advertisers use argument to sell their product. After analyzing several print ads in class, students had to find their own ad and analyze the difference between the actual words used in the ad and the actual picture compared to the perceived value of the product. Each group then made a copy of the chosen ad and placed it in the center of a big sheet of paper. Together, they examined the parts of the ad identifying the who, what, where, when, why, how, and stated the claim, evidence, and the argument being made. I think by working as a group and including this information on a poster it not only made their thinking visible but also gave them a chance to hear other ideas that they maybe had not thought of. Several groups had students who came up with completely different interpretations of the same ad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I do this same thing as well and I like seeing all of the students "annotations" on the ad. Doing is as a group helps them to tear it apart more thoroughly.
ReplyDelete