Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Trzasko-Questioning

To introduce ATP, I previewed the text with students and asked them to read the 2 pages about ATP.  Then I had them think about what they now understand about ATP, and what questions they have about ATP.  They shared these ideas with their small groups and had discussions about them, and then we shared whole group while I recorded ideas on the board.  Students would jump in and answer each other's questions, sometimes asking deeper questions.  It was interesting to see what they pulled from the text when I asked open ended questions as opposed to telling them what they should have understood from their reading.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Trzasko,
    I like your idea of using open ended questions to gauge understanding, and the fact that you built the remainder of your lesson off the questions they posed to you. I think that this method of teaching ATP is better than spoon feeding the students notes. I also like how you had the students answering each others questions. I will most likely use this this same format when I teach ATP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great approach to introducing ATP and energy use to students. By utilizing the text book as a foundation, you were able to build upon the information presented using students' questions, ideas, and thinking. This is a difficult concept for many students but scaffolding it as you did will really aid in creating understanding and interest because students actively participated in their own thinking and learning.

    ReplyDelete