Recently, I had my 9th grade students write a brief reflection on their 1st Socratic Seminar. I posed two reflective questions to make students' thinking visible. The first question was: What important idea did you want to bring up in Socratic Seminar that you did not? This question gave students a voice that did not talk at all during the seminar. Otherwise, I would have no idea what they were thinking for the duration of the 40 minutes process. I also asked this question for those who felt there was not enough time or opportunity to offer a new idea to the conversation. This helps me understand what students think might be important ideas that need to be discussed in order to understand the text. I can then follow up on these ideas in a class discussion or encourage students to revisit these ideas in subsequent seminars. This opportunity to reflect cultivated students' dispositions toward thinking because they know that I value their thinking beyond the actual seminar. This reflection time is a routine that sets up an expectation that thinking doesn't just stop because the conversation stopped. It sends them a message that I value their thoughts and voices. The entire process of the Socratic Seminar is an opportunity to deepen their understanding of subject-matter, and the reflection is just another piece of the process that contributes to the understanding.
The 2nd question I posed was, How has today's discussion of the text helped you understand the world and your place in it? I asked this question because I am gathering evidence of how students are using texts as a framework for understanding the world and their place in it. This opportunity to reflect cultivated students' dispositions toward thinking because the question is not a typical content question. It pushes them to think about the relevance of the text in their lives which is a disposition I want them to have with any text they encounter in the future.
A few student responses:
"This discussion today has made me look at other cultures in a different way. It showed me that other cultures are surprisingly similar to my own and I have realized I have a stronger bond with other cultures."
"After the Socratic Seminar I feel like life and the world are journeys and there are so many mysteries in the world that have not been answered and I think it is important to think and be open to those mysteries that there are no right answer to because that is what mysteries are."
The idea that thinking doesn't end when the conversation is over is essential to student/personal growth. The reflection piece is essential and, like you stated in your blog, it let's students know you value their thinking. It is always saddens me when students are surprised that I've read their writing, be it on an exit slip or in their writer's notebook. Once they know you're truly interested in what they have to say, the floodgates open. Of course, this is overwhelming when you have classes of 30+ students, but it is worth it. Dr. Rock talks about passion, inspiration, emotion, and relationships. I don't know a better way to access it then providing a venue that is safe, respected, and valued. Reflection requires students to process information/learning, to draw conclusions, and to apply it to their own lives. Making reflection a habit is a life skill. Good thinkin', Lincoln!
ReplyDelete